Vitiligo is rare dermatology disease having genetic predisposition and is believed to be an AUTOIMMUNE disorder.
Vitiligo is defined as skin disorder characterised by appearance of white ill defined patches of varying size and shapes. vitiligo is believed to be an autoimmune disorder where in the melanocytes(which produce melanin that gives the skin its natural colour) is destroyed resulting in decreased melanin secretion.
Exact cause is not known but is believed to be an autoimmune disorder with genetic predisposition.
- Predisposing factors-emotional stress
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Vitiligo is a very slow growing skin disease which has a very insidious onset,commonly affecting sites are pressure points that is knuckles,elbows,lips.
- Vitiligo is non itching skin disease.
How the lesions looks like
- Vitiligo starts as a patch first seen on shoulder or arm,small erythematous area with mild scaling.
- After 5-8 days,small oval macules appear on trunk ,limbs with symmetrical distribution.
- Rose coloured margin of scales,in few dasy the macule starts peeling off and becomes wrinkled.
- Increase in number and size spreads peripheral with clearance at the centre,no scar formation.
- Course is 6-12 weeks
- Heals spontaneously
- No specific treatment
- Maintain good general hygiene.