Tonsillitis is ENT condition where in the tonsils located in throat get inflamed .
Tonsillitis is acute or chronic condition of inflammation of tonsils.
- Tonsillitis is caused due to bacteria especially beta hemolytic streptococcus and staphylococcus aureus.
- Predisposing causes.
- Tonsillitis is common problem in childrens.
- Drinking of infected water or milk.
- Post nasal drip.
- General ill health.
- Over crowding.
- Ill ventilated rooms.
- Season common in winter seasons.
Tonsillitis is commonly categorised into
- Acute Tonsillitis
- Chronic Tonsillitis
In acute Tonsillitis symptoms like fever,pain in throat with radiating pain to ear. worse on swallowing.Change of voice,malaise,anorexia and thirst. Chronic Tonsillitis is recurrent attacks of acute Tonsillitis ,irritating cough,voice becomes thick.
- Quinsy(peritonsillar abscess)
- Rheumatic fever
- Sub acute bacterial endocarditis.
- Acute attack lasts for 3-7 days.
- Prognosis good if treated early.
- Bed rest during fever time.
- Warm water gargles.
- Adequate fresh air and sunlight.
- Improvement of general health.
- Diet rich in vitamin c.
- If Tonsillitis is uncontrolleable Tonsillectomy(removal of tonsils).