Sinusitis (Sinus Infection)
Sinusitis is defined as inflammation of lining of paranasal sinuses. paranasal sinuses are situated in the skull and is the reason way the skull feels lighter than it is. sinuses are fluid filled cavities.
Paranasal sinuses are of 3 types
- Maxillary sinuses.
- Frontal sinuses.
- Ethmoidal sinuses.
- Any infection to nose,pharynx(throat) or dental infections like dental caries.
- Deviated nasal septum(DNS).
- Hypertrophied turbinates.
- Exposure to cold can cause an attack of sinusitis
- Excessive blowing of nose during an acute attack can causes sinusitis.
- As a general rule,situation of pain helps in knowing which group of paranasal siuses are inflammed.
- Pain around the cheek and infra orbital region(maxillary sinusitis)
- Pain around the frontal region frontal headache( frontal sinusitis)
- Pain around the nasal bridge and behind the eyes(ethmoidal sinusitis)
- Nasal discharge is usually yellowish green in colour,pain from stooping,post nasal drip(hawking of discharge from mouth) which irritates the throat.
- Tenderness over the affected sinus on applying pressure, best way to know if you have sinusitis or not is by bending head downwards if you feel the head to be heavy might suggest that you are suffering from sinusitis.
- Rest in warm room,keep yourself warm.
- Steam inhalation should be helpful to relieve the nasal block.
- Prognosis is good recurrence is very common.