Pityriasis capitis (dandruff):
Pityriasis capitis commonly called dandruff is common dermatology condition which almost effects the major group of people especially during pubertal age.
Pityriasis capitis is a condition characterised by easily detectable epidermal scaliness of scalp.
- In hair follicles,sebaceous glands secrete sebaceous secretion(sebum) in normal composition. but in Pityriasis capitis excessive scretion of sebaceous scretion occurs
- Pitryosporon of malassez is secondary invader.
- Endocrine disorders.
- Chronic illness.
- Imbalance diet.
- Pityriasis capitis has insidious onset and affection of Pityriasis capitis is more on scalp extending to eyebrows,eyelids,beard.
- Pityriasis capitis is of two varity Pityriasis sicca(dry variety) and Pityriasis stertoides(greasy variety).
- Pityriasis sicca is common in individuals with dry skin and commonly occurs in winter season.
- Pityriasis stertoides is common in seborrhoiec skin and occurs in warm,humid weather.
Pityriasis sicca lesions are covered with grayish white scales and crusts,easily detachable,constantly falls on clothes. Hair dry lustreless.
- Resolves with correction of cause
- Good prognosis
Pityriasis stertoides lesions are covered with yellowish,thick,waxy scales and crusts,beneathe which the scalp is red,dry. Matting of hair,gradually thinning of hairs which fall of easily.
- Prognosis variable
- Correcting the underlying cause.
- Frequent washing of the scalp.
- Avoid using fancy soaps,switch to non irritanting mild soaps.
- Avoid oiling of scalp especially in greasy variety.
- Regular massaging of hair in dry variety.
- Improve general health.