Keloid is a rare dermatology condition due to overgrowth of damaged skin.
Keloid is condition characterised by overgrowth of collagenous scar tissue at the site of wound or trauma of skin.
- Infection of operation wounds.
- Injury,ear piercing,vaccination site,injection site are secondary effects.
- Race-common in blacks
- Keloid is slow growing lesion having very insidious onset,affecting chest(common site),arms,back,ears.
- Itching is key note of keloid and pain
How the lesions look:
- Keloid starts as nodule or plaque,gradually enlarges,becomes elevated lesion,firm in consistency.
- Reddish actively growing and itchy lesion
- The colour of lesions is dark brown
- Claw like lesions with irregular margins.
- First thing that bothers individual is cosmetic disfigurement.
- There is chances malignancy.
- Most keloid stop growing becomes stationary and less noticeable with passage of time.
- Individuals predisposed to keloids should avoid any knd of trauma.
- If surgery is essential,it should be incised minimally.
- Avoid injections and ear pricking.