German measles (rubella):
Rubella also called three day measles is an infectious disease commonly seen in childrens and is one of the killer disease in India.
Rubella is an acute infectious disease characterised by mild fever,rash and lymphadenopathy.
- Rubella is spread worldwide and cases are recorded from all over the globe.
- Rubella is caused by the virus called rubella virus.
- Rubella virus is seen in the respiratory discahrge of the infected individual.
- Rubella is transmitted by droplet infection.
- Incubation period of Rubella is 14-21 days.
- Rubella disease is called one time disease,that is once a person suffers from rubella immunity is confined for the whole life.
Symptoms – The duration of Rubella symptoms are 2-3 days,onset being sudden with fever,headache,body ache,rash appears on 1st or 2nd day,malaise,weakness,sore throat,lachrymation,anorexia,nausea and vomiting.
signs – temperature rise of less than 38 degree celsius
Rash is pinkish,maculopapular rash appears on face,neck and then spreads to trunk and extremities.
Complications of Rubella are thrombocytopenic purpura,encephalitis,congenital rubella syndrome.
Bed rest till fever subsides and rash disappears.
plenty of water is to be taken.
avoid cold things.
Immediate measures-isolation,prevention of close contacts,hygienic disposal of infected secretion of the patient.
Immunisation of MMR vaccine.