Diarrhea is common gastrointestinal condition characterised by frequent losse stools.
Diarrhea is a condition characterised by frequent loose,watery stools causing generalised weaking due to loss of fluids.
- Dietetic diarrhea(diarrhea due to im properdiet)
- Lactose intolerance(enzyme lactase deficiency)
- Excessive intake of fat
- Infective diarrhea
- Bacterial cause-e.coli,salmonella,shigella.
- Worm infestations.
- Malabsorption syndrome.
- Iatrogenic causes.
- Psychological disturbances.
Diarrhea due to constipation which is because of irritation of rectum(pseudo-diarrhea).
Diarrhea is of two types acute and chronic type. In acute type we have mild type and severe type
In mild case of Diarrhea the onset is usually insidious.
- Passage of stools more than 2-3 times per day.
Character of stools:
- At the beginning the colour and consistency of stools dont change,but as the suffering continues stools become more fluid.
- Colour of stool yellowish to green,containing curds and offensive.
- Mild fever
- Loss of appetite
- Vomiting may precede or follow diarrhea.
- In severe case of Diarrhea,onset is usually sudden.
- Stools are frequent,copious,loose watery stools,contains little amount of faecal matter and offensive stools.
Character of vomitus:
- Usually after every meal,copious,projectile type,violent
- Mild fever
- Dehydration due loss of vital fluids.
- Circulatory collapse
Chronic diarrhea(irritable bowel disease)
- This is described as causeless diarrhea with all types investigations not eliciting any cause
- Other wise the individual is perfectly alright
- Diarrhea immediately after every meal
- Treat the underlying cause.
- Stop feeds for 24 hours.
- Diluted milk,rice,milled cereals,mashed bananas can be given.
- If diarrhea does not recur,strengthen the feed..
- Maintain fluid,electrolyte balance.
- Reassurance and explaining the patient about his suffering especially in irritable bowel disease.