Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS)
DNS is condition characterised by deviation of nasal septum either to right or to left side of the nasal passage causing mechanical obstruction. DNS is mechanical condition that is if severe requires to operated.
DNS exact cause is not known,few predisposing cause nay seem to be the cause which are as follow.
- Age:usually most of individual suffer from mild DNS which doesn’t cause much problem to them,and adolescence usually is common due to growth variation and is believed to be normal and doesn’t cause much problem. commonly occurs more in males.
- Trauma- direct blow over the nose can cause DNS.
- High arched palate
- Familial predisposition present.
- The first thing that you notice is frequent nasal obstruction which is either continues or intermittently.
- Headache and heaviness of head due to nasal blockage.
- Recurrent attacks of rhinitis and sinusitis.
- mouth breathing.
- Dryness of mouth and pharynx
- epistaxis in case of trauma over nose.
DNS is classified into two types
- C-shaped: deflection of the nasal septum to either right or to the left and causing unilateral block.
- S-shaped: deflection of nasal septum to both the side causing alternative unilateral block.
- DNS if not treated early leads to complications like chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis.
- DNS is mechanical obstruction and requires to be operated surgical. medication can only relieve the complaint temporarily.
Conservative treatment that is medicines are given to just relieve the obstruction.
severely DNS is advised for surgical operation.