Dental caries is Dental (teeth) problem,a condition characterised by decay,decalcification and disintegration of teeth.
PATHOGENESIS(how dental caries develop)
The sequence of dental caries
- Bacteria in mouth cause fermentation.
- Formation of acids from carbohydrates inservices around the teeth.
- Acids decalcify inorganic enamel.
- Proteolytic organisms destroy organic matrix left after decalcification.
- Cavity formed extends into pulp.
- Secondarily infection and decay.
- Suppuration with abscess formation.
- Food stagnation.
- Ingestion of fermentable carbohydrates eg bread,honey,sweets especially not brushing in the night which is protective meanS for not suffering from dental caries.
- Lack of roughage.
- Abnormal development of teeth and jaw
- Deficient calcification.
- Common in age group of 4-8 years.
Site of affection-place where food can stagnate.
- Foul odour from mouth.
Consists of food debris,bacteria,epithelial cells and mucin
Tough,difficult to remove,grows back after it is removed quickly.
- Yellowish brown discolouration.
- Pieces of enamel break away during chewing.
- Cavities form in the teeth which has dark brown surface and progressive increases in size.
- As a rule brush your teeth after meals.