Constipation is common condition of defecation system,characterised by difficulty in passing stools.
Constipation is defined as condition characterised by difficulty in passing hard stools accompanied pain and straining on defecation.
Criteria for Constipation
- Passing of hard stools for months together.
- Not passing stools for more than 3 days is considered to be constipated.
- Organic cause
- Intestinal stresia.
- Pyloric stenosis.
- Faulty diet
- Mental conditions like cretinism,the individual cant appreciate loaded rectum.
- Irregular sleep habits can cause constipation.
- Psychogenic disturbances.
- Eating solid foods without liquid diet can cause constipation.
- Pain on passing stools
- Sometimes melaena due to laceration of anus.
- Colic and distension of abdomen.
- Discomfort around the abdomen.
- If severe it can cause intestinal obstruction,vomiting and visible peristalsis movement.
- Symptoms like foul breath,irritability,tiredness.
- Passage of hard stools can cause pain during defecation.
- Due to continues passage of hard stools can cause fissure in ano(cracks around the anus).
- Accumulated faeces in rectum can cause irritation in rectum causing diarrhea.
- Due to excessive straining,prolapse of anus can occur.
- Constipation has a good prognosis if precautions are taken.
- Drink plenty of water,fresh fruit juice.
- Add fibre to your regular diet like apple,banana
- Avoid having solid diet.
- Drink plenty of water after every diet.