Chilblains is common skin condition that occurs on exposure to cold.
Chilblains is condition characterised by exudative erythema and swelling of affected area due to exposure to cold.
- Chilblains is caused due exposure to cold
- Predisposing causes
- Poor peripheral circulation
- General ill health
- Vasomotor irritability
- Individual who are fat and individuals who are thin strung,nervous subjects are susceptible to suffer Chilblains easily.
- As a rule commonly seen in cold areas like kashmir,shimla and in winter weather.
- Common occurence more in females due to their hysterical and sensitive predisposition.
- Chilblains is acut condition which has immediate onset on exposure,affecting toes,fingers,ears,tip of nose all exposed area that can catch cold easily.
- Chilblains symptoms are intense,distressing itching and burning pain.
- Chilblains is worse from change from cold to hot.
How the lesions look
- In Chilblains the affected part looks dusky red,cold,bilaterally symmetrical.
- Oedema of affected parts,heals with change of weather
- Mild desquamation occurs at site of lesion leaving brownish mark on resolution.
- Prognosis is good
- Recurrence is seasonal which is common.
- Avoid exposure to cold.
- Keep your feets warm by wearing warm shoes and gloves.
- General improvement of health.
- Washing hands and feet with warm water.