Bacillary dysentery is common tropical disease caused by shigella group of organisms.
Bacillary dysentery is an acute infection of the large intestine characterised by tenesmus,small,frequent,bloody stools associated with fever and toxaemia.
- Bacillary dysentery is spread worldwide,with cases recorded all over the globe.
- Bacillary dysentery is common in season like summer and rainy weather.
- Bacillary dysentery is caused by shigella group of organism.s
- Source of Bacillary dysentery is human faeces.
- Bacillary dysentery is transmitted by faeco-oral route.
- Bacillary dysentary is spread through contaminated food,water,milk.
- Incubation period is 2-3 days.
Clinically Bacillary dysentary is characterised by symptoms which have a abrupt onset. Symptoms like fever,headache,malaise,weakness,diarrhea. Character of stools are watery,with mucus and bright red blood,pain in abdomen,tenesmus followed by bloody stool.
Complications of Bacillary dysentery are dehydration and intestinal haemorrhage.
- Bed rest
- Maintain fluid and electrolyte balance
- Diet-encourage eating of bland food like bananas,rice,curd.
- PROPHYLACTIC MEASURES
- Hygienic sewage disposal,as human faeces is the source of infection in Bed rest
- Diet-encourage eating of bland food like bananas,rice,curd..
- Pure water supply.
- Educate the patient about personal hygiene.
- Fly control,as housefly can carry the infection from human faeces to food which on eating can cause bacillary dysentery.