Agoraphobia is psychiatric disorder of the type phobic neurosis. Agoraphobia is psychological disorder in which fear arises on being in places or situations from which escape might be difficult or embarrassing.
phobic neurosis is abnormally intense,irrational,persistent fear in presence of predictable situation,object or activity amounting to panic and wish to avoid it.
- Exact cause is unknown.
- Agoraphobia is common in middle age people and in obsessive compulsive personality.
- Anxiety and panic states.
Psychological theory behind Agoraphobia:
Unconscious conflicts that are not allowed express directly,because of repression transforms into phobia. Because of this conflicts develops conditioned fear responses and avoidance through operant conditioning. Through reinforcement,it leads to persistence and generalisation of disorder.
- Agoraphobia is proved by specific situation like shops,restuarants,theatres,public transport,market places.
- Agoraphobia occur at place that cant be left without attracting attention like seated in seminar and cannot get out in between or seat in middle of row in cinema halls.
- Agoraphobia is characterised by fear,worries that he will lose his control.
- Housebound housewife syndrome-always stays at home and does not go out without someone along with him
- Somatic symptoms (dizziness,vomiting,loss of bladder,bowel controls,faintness.)
- Reassurance,support and confident guidance
- Explanation to the patient that avoid fear object or situation will gradually increase fear,will result is adverse effects
- Educate the patient tell him the relationship between anxiety and unpleasant symptoms.